Wondering the best way to mass-import users

Get help from other users here.

Moderators: Developer, Contributor

mushu

Wondering the best way to mass-import users

Post by mushu »

Mantis 2.18.0
adLogin 1.01 plugin
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.7.13, for Win64 (x86_64)

Wondering the best way to do the following:

Right now we have $g_enable_email_notification = ON in config file. We have the LDAP authentication working such that people automatically get "logged in" when they go to Mantis URL. We want to pre-load the mySQL user table with all accounts in our Active Directory (about 900), but do not have access to each user's password.

Can we just turn OFF the config email notification variable then add those users to the table without setting the password field hash? Or do we need to set a default password hash in place? If so, what happens when the user goes to Mantis the first time after the account was imported into mySQL (because we use LDAP to auto-log them in)?

Finally, can we get away with only adding their info to the bugtracker.mantis_user_table table or do we have to populate the other user tables at the same time to avoid errors when they first hit our Mantis website?

*EDIT* I just found this plugin, do you think it will work as-is or will it require code changes due to age? http://litig.free.fr/MantisImportUser.php5?menu=1
cas

Re: Wondering the best way to mass-import users

Post by cas »

That plugin is written for version 1.2.x so will not work on version 2.x.

When using LDAP you can setup the user without a password. The cookie_string must be filled, simply use the username which is also unique (I hope).

There is a setting within mantis called "$g_allow_signup" (which defaults to ON).
Not sure if this also works with LDAP but you can test.
If the setting is ON, the account may be created if they logon with correct credentials.
mushu

Post by mushu »

So....that means I only have to populate that one user table then?

And what about the settings on those two $g variables I mentioned, are they important? I don't want to force everyone to have to access our Mantis site in order to get a working account.

N.B. if there was a tutorial on writing plugins I might try that, but just going through and trying to figure out how the code in an existing plugin works is too difficult and takes a lot of time that I don't have, especially since I don't know the nuances of PHP. :-(
cas

Post by cas »

You still need to set the authorisations.
Did you try the setting and logging on with an AD account?
mushu

Post by mushu »

I don't understand what you mean.

We use the adLogin plugin, so that everyone who "hits" the Mantis website is automatically logged in as a Reporter without having to enter a password, and if they are not in the mySQL user table an account is created for them. I assume that Mantis grabs the user's NTLM password hash and stores that in the mySQL user table for future authentication, but not positive.

We want to pre-create every account that exists in Active Directory in the Mantis database so that ticket Monitors can be set when a ticket is emailed to us with a CC: address (using the EmailReporting plugin.)

So I can change that variable setting, sure, but then what does that do when *I* go to our Mantis website, since I already have an account? Do you mean we need to get someone who doesn't have an account to hit the website after I change that variable?

EDIT: I just looked and $g_allow_signup is set to ON already in the default config file, we do not override that setting in our custom config file.
cas

Post by cas »

Ah, well I created that plugin so now I no exactly what you are using. When creating users upfront you do need to set a password otherwise there is a potential security risk.
In principle it is pretty easy to write a program to add users from a csv file. There is a plug-in @ mantishub but that has not been released for public☹️
Let me have a look over the weekend to pull some together😁
cas

Post by cas »

Attached a simple version to load users from a csv file, have a go at.
Have tested it on 2.15 and it runs fine.
Users will receive an email of their account activation (standard Mantis )
As always with these kind of actions, backup your database first....
Look forward to have your comments :mrgreen:
Attachments
import_user.zip
(4.19 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
mushu

Post by mushu »

Thank you, I'll take a look!

Questions:
1. we changed the access levels and values a bit, do I use the updated values we have or the default you supplied at runtime?
2. Since we use active directory, we do not know what people's passwords are. When we add everyone to the Mantis user table, we cannot set a default password because the adLogin plugin will attempt to log them in using their existing NTLM hash and it will not match. Can we leave the password column blank and have it update when they hit the website the first time?
Last edited by mushu on 22 Jan 2019, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
cas

Post by cas »

The answers:
1. Use your own level codes
2. Just put a random password there. The adLogin will not use it. It is only needed to reduce the security risk which you would create using empty passwords in combination with this plugin.
mushu

Post by mushu »

Please see this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26097

I think this is due to hitting the [Install] button on this plugin. :-(

So I either need to add some imports to the plugin code, or I need to figure out how to manually uninstall a plugin from Mantis. Thoughts?
cas

Post by cas »

Noop, this plugin does not have this statement in. So I think you have installed another plugin that uses such event.
Please scan your plugin directory for this text.
Once found the plugin disable this in the mantis management console.
if that does not work follow the advice of SL-gundam:
Open your sql editor (eg. PHPmyAdmin)
Go to the table mantis_plugin_table
Modify "enabled" to "0" for the offending plugin
mushu

Post by mushu »

Found it and removed via editing database table, thanks for that! Now that it is back to running, trying to install this plugin gives me the following error:

Code: Select all

SYSTEM NOTICE

'Use of undefined constant ERROR_IMPORT_FILE_FORMAT - assumed 'ERROR_IMPORT_FILE_FORMAT'' in 'C:\MantisBT2180\plugins\import_user\lang\strings_english.txt' line 15

Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the previous page. There you can correct whatever problems were identified in this error or select another action. You can also click an option from the menu bar to go directly to a new section.
cas

Post by cas »

fixed that also in attached update :mrgreen:
Attachments
import_user201.zip
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
mushu

Post by mushu »

Thanks, will take a look today and let you know.

EDIT: so, I get an error when trying to install the new version, but it is not installed and the mySQL plugins table shows a zero in the "enabled" column for it:

APPLICATION WARNING #2501

Plugin "import_user" is already installed. (in 'C:\MantisBT2180\core\plugin_api.php' line 604)

Please use the "Back" button in your web browser to return to the previous page. There you can correct whatever problems were identified in this error or select another action. You can also click an option from the menu bar to go directly to a new section.
EDIT-EDIT: never mind, I went into the mySQL plugins table and deleted the row with this plugin name on it after looking at the code in the plugins_api file and saw that it looks for just the name of a plugin to decide if that plugin is installed (I wouldn't have done it that way...) It installed just fine after that. But now I get this error when going into the new plugin tab:

SYSTEM NOTICE

'Undefined variable: import_file' in 'C:\MantisBT2180\plugins\import_user\pages\import_users_page.php' line 11

Okay, so I added the variable to define it and it then let me into the setting tab now:

<?php
	# Mantis - a php based bugtracking system
	require_once( 'core.php' );
	access_ensure_project_level( ADMINISTRATOR );
	layout_page_header( lang_get( 'manage_import_users' ) );
	layout_page_begin( ); 
	print_manage_menu();

$import_file='';
?>
<br />
<form method="post" enctype="multipart/form-data" action="<?php echo plugin_page('import_users')?>">
<input type="hidden" name="import_file" value="<?php echo $import_file;  ?>">
cas

Post by cas »

which Mantis version are you using and which OS?